Caitlyn Jenner insisted Friday that her California gubernatorial bid is in “full operation” after jetting off to Australia two months before the state’s recall election to film a reality TV show.
“My campaign team is in full operation as am I,” Jenner said in a tweet Friday afternoon.
“I am in this race to win for California, because it is worth fighting for.”
The former Olympic athlete’s statement followed reports that she flew to Australia earlier this week to film “Big Brother VIP.”
A spokesperson for Jenner’s California gubernatorial campaign confirmed the trip to Politico, after Australian tabloids reported on the excursion abroad to film “Celebrity Big Brother.” Politico reported that Jenner will be back in California to campaign via “bus tour” in the months leading up to the recall election on Sept. 14, when she will face off against Gov. Gavin Newsom.
Jenner, 71, is one of eight challengers seeking to unseat Newsom in just the second recall election in Golden State history.
The Republican claimed her trip Down Under didn’t have any bearing on her dedication to attempting to lead her home state.
“I am honoring a work commitment that I had made prior to even deciding to run for governor,” Jenner said in a tweet. “There is no pause at all on this race to save CA!”
Jenner has said she wants to take the same mentality she had as an Olympian to the state’s capital.
“I want to take that same fight, that same spirit, go to Sacramento, [and] surround myself with some of the smartest people out there,” Jenner said in May.